Sunday, December 27, 2009

PERSIMMONS "Fruit of the Gods"

A most misunderstood fruit! Some folks claim, “you either love it or truly dislike it”



Perhaps those that dislike it have , have never tasted the ripe fruit. There is nothing as sweet and delicious as a ripe persimmon, thus the title of “Fruit of the Gods” (Diospyros) known to the ancient Greeks .The word persimmon is derived from the Algonquian language . It’s origin is native to China, where it has been cultivated for centuries, and was introduced to California in the mid 1800's.

Persimmons do best in areas with mild summers—Thus doing extremely well in California , where a delicious golden-orange fruit is in season from late September through late December. When ripe, these fruits are delightfully sweet.


As an east coast transplant , residing in southern California for few decades, I was introduced to this marvelous fruit years ago by my neighbor with a persimmon tree. It was an experienced worth noting, for I attempted a taste of this fruit prior to its ripen stage, and it can be and was really bitter! Fortunately I waited several days prior to thanking my neighbor for the generous gift and once again, tasted a ripe persimmon ..and WOW! “Fruit of the Gods” I was delighted .


Every year around late November my neighbor provides me with a generous supply of this marvelous fruit which I immediately put to good use. When they are ripe they are most enjoyable eating as a whole fruit sliced or added to everything from salad to waffles, to making a puree and jams. I especially enjoy baking everything from a persimmon loaf to muffins, and of course I always share some of the baked goodies with my neighbor. I usually bake several extra loafs which I will freeze ,thus providing enjoyment for months on end.

In this blog for your enjoyment I have added my own well tested recipe for the persimmon loft which I bake every year during the Holidays.


You can find additional favorite enjoyable recipes of mine for hearty soups and pastry and all sorts of other stuff at my ETSY Site at  http://www.soupnstuff.etsy.com/ which are presented and preserved on laminated heat sealed charts for your continued use.

PERSIMMON LOAF CAKE Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar         1/2 cup salad oil          3 eggs (beaten)

1 1/2 cups persimmon ( roughly pureed)       1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts

1 cup raisins          2 cups flour       2 tsp. baking powder    1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ground cloves     1/2 tsp. salt     1 tsp. lemon extract   1 tsp. orange zest

1 tsp. baking soda           2 tbsp. warm water


Instructions:

Stir together, mixing well the first 5 ingredients.

Sugar, salad oil, 3 eggs, persimmon, chopped walnuts

Stir in the next 5 dry ingredients into the persimmon mixture.

Raisins, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground cloves

Add the last ingredients. Mixing well.
Salt, lemon extract, orange zest, baking soda ,2 tbsp. warm water.

Pour into greased standard loaf pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees and bake 40 –45 minutes until done. Makes one standard loaf or two small loaves.





1 comment:

  1. another foodie here! and yes, an admirer of the wonderful sweet nectar that is persimmon. I'm following you with relish!:)Pam

    ReplyDelete